Health & Safety
Bitumen emissions at ambient temperature are negligible. However, the physical properties of bitumen require that handling and application is generally carried out at elevated temperature. Under these conditions emissions from bitumen can occur. Eurobitume places great importance on ensuring that occupational exposure of workers to emission from hot bitumen is minimised. Eurobitume has a permanent Committee dedicated to Health, Safety and the Environment, this committee has published numerous guides aimed at promoting safe handling of bitumen throughout the supply chain.
Eurobitume is committed to promoting industry-wide standards in health, safety and environmental practices. Our goal is to achieve continuous improvement in bitumen handling methods, transportation, storage and recycling practices through a range of activities and initiatives, including:
- Producing and distributing good-practice solutions and codes of practice
- Promoting safety and environmental standards
- Reviewing equipment and engineering to ensure that safety best practice is maintained
- Providing advice on legislative change in the areas of health, safety and environment
- Review and interpret new research that addresses the health and safety aspects of working with bituminous materials