5th edition of Bitumen Safety Code now available
Applicable to those with responsibility for design, construction, operation, inspection and maintenance within the manufacturing, blending, storage, distribution and user sectors of the bitumen industry, the new Bitumen Safety Code supersedes the 4th edition and is applicable internationally.
Formally titled Model Code of Safe Practice Part 11: Safety, health and environmental aspects of design, construction, operation, inspection and maintenance of bitumen manufacture, blending, storage, distribution, product handling and use, and sampling, the new Bitumen Safety Code has been amended throughout and includes the following major changes:
- It has been restructured to follow the life cycle of bitumen - from manufacturing to end user – then has generic Health, Safety and Environmental sections.
- Where applicable, it has been aligned to other Eurobitume documents.
- It has increased international applicability - UK-specific legislation and guidance have been removed and replaced with international requirements.
- A bibliography has been added - including relevant UK-specific legislation and guidance.
- Reference to the use of flame tubes has been removed.
- A section on the Long-term Storage of Bitumen has been included - within the chapter on Storage.
- New sections for Preventing Boil-over/Froth-over during Loading and Loading Compatibility have been added - within the chapter on Distribution.
- Sections on Ground-based Pumps (GBPs) and Delivery Site Inspections have been included - within the chapter on Product Handling and Use.
- The chapter on Health Management has been extended to include General Health and Safety Management.
- A section on Fire Risk Assessment has been included - within the chapter on Fire Prevention.
- Sections covering Ground Pollution and Bitumen Recovery and Reuse have been added - within the chapter on Environmental Protection.
The Bitumen Safety Guide is part of a comprehensive range of bitumen safety and safe handling documentation produced by Eurobitume as part of our mission to educate and promote the safe and sustainable use of refined bitumen.
All of these documents are available to download from the Eurobitume website here.